We have noticed this wild rabbit in our yard in the evenings recently. It's a cute thing for the kids to see. (the gifts it leaves behind in our yard are not-so-cute for D to run over with the lawnmower) Eeek!
Anyway, last Thursday, we were outside in the evening and we saw a little baby bunny. It was TINY... it could fit in the palm of my hand. We looked around the yard and found the mother bunny hidden under one of our trees just watching the baby. The baby bunny was very adventurous. It was out in the middle of the driveway, the sidewalk, and even approaching the street. At one point, the mama bunny even turned around and hopped back to the other side of the house. It was as if she was saying, "I'm not going to protect that baby b/c it's being too dangerous." I found that weird, but maybe that's their way.
This story gets sadder...
Yesterday morning, D was going out to get the newspaper. He opened the garage as usual and as soon as he stepped down, he heard a squealing sound. It was the poor baby bunny. (yes, he stepped on it!) It hobbled off into the garage somewhere. D spent the next 30 minutes or so searching the garage for the baby bunny and never found it.
Maybe it escaped? Maybe it's cuddled up in some small hole somewhere? or, maybe we'll be smelling it in a few days. :(
4 comments:
Ohhhhh noooooooooo! :-( That makes me so sad.
Oh my goodness! Very sad :-(
So what'd you tell the kids!?
It was definitely one of those moments where you think twice about what to say. At first, we tried to play it off, but H is so inquisitive. She just has to know everything. She kept pushing to know what was going on, so I told her. The whole truth. I think it was the right thing to do. She wasn't too upset about it, but was definitely concerned for the baby bunny. I imagine if we start smelling it in a few days, there will need to be some more discussion on the topic! :)
Who even knew bunnies could make noise? :-(
... and ewww, I'm not sure that is a good discussion to have if you begin to have a smell. That would traumatize the poor child!! I remember dad explaining to me the smell in the ceiling of the den when we were kids (yuck!). I still have issues if I catch of a whiff of anything similar. ;-) Trauma!
Post a Comment