Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Agape Center Field Trip

Taking a break from the vacation recaps for a moment, I thought I'd write about H's field trip today.  She went to this place in a neighboring county called Agape.  It is a 650 acre preserve owned by the Lutheran Churches of NC and they have devoted it to environmental education.  So, the kids went there today to learn about the environment and how to protect it.

First of all, let me just say that field trips at private schools have a really negative drawback.  The drawback is the fact that there is no mass transportation.  So, the parents volunteer to drive on field trips.  Since I am an anal, over protective parent, either D or I are on every field trip.  This field trip?  Well, it was out in the boonies.  It took 45 min to get there from the school and half of that time was riding on backwoods country two lane roads.  The drive really reminded me of the county I grew up in and all the two lane, country roads there.  Honestly, it brought back fond memories, but I had no idea this type of land existed close to where we lived!  :)

Anyway, I was in charge of six girls today.  Yes, SIX!!!  I'm just glad it was girls and not boys.  I still don't know how I'm going to handle these situations when E gets old enough!

Once we finally got there, we were met on the drive by one of the counselors who routed us to a different part of the camp than we expected to go to.  Come to find out, they had a water main break during the night and there was only ONE working bathroom!  So, they wanted us all to use the bathroom and then they routed us to the main lodge.

After everyone got to the main lodge, we were broken up into two groups.  The day was broken up into two parts...  water life and insect life.  (sounds like fun already, doesn't it)  As the counselors were doing the introductions, one of the counselors had an intro for the parents.  You know it's going to be a rough day when the counselor says, "if any of these things gross you out as parents, please refrain from letting the kids know"

We were in the water life group for the first half.  Our counselor took us down to the pond and explained the food chain and how certain things eat certain other things and that they are all connected together.  If one link of the chain is broken, it affects the rest of the chain.  Then, the kids took little buckets (old cool whip canisters) and scooped up pond water and gunk to see what they could find in the water.  They found SOOO many things, you wouldn't believe it.  H found a salamandar larvae, some minnows, some spiders, and algae.  But, other kids found things like frogs, tadpoles, dragon flies, beetles, clams, water scorpions, and snails.  It was CRAZY... and gross, all at the same time.







After this, it was time for lunch.  (you're gonna love this part)  We went back to the main lodge...  where there was no running water.  The kids could use the bathroom, but couldn't flush and they couldn't wash their hands.  There was tons of hand sanitizer, but no running water.  :)

The kids were served in a really nice dining hall probably some of the best 'camp food' I've ever had.  There was salad, grilled chicken nuggets, french fries, baked beans, and a chocolate chip cookie.  Oh, and bottled water to drink.  I had packed H's lunch this morning b/c I knew she wasn't going to eat what was served.  She only ate the fries and the chocolate chip cookie. 

After lunch, it was our turn with the insects.  Let me just say, that this does NOT make me happy at all.  Insects are NOT my friends and quite honestly, I can do without them completely.  So, the counselor gave a nice little lecture on insects and what things are and are not insects and why.  Then, she sang an insect songe with the kids.  Then, each kid was given an insect collection box and told to go find insects.  Turn over rocks, logs, dig in dirt, whatever...  just find insects and we will identify them.  So, here I am..  "H - let the other kids lift the rocks."  "H-stand back and watch as they lift the logs"  "H-don't dig in the mulch with your bare hands"  Finally, she turned to me and growled, "Grrrr....  I WANT TO BE INDEPENDENT!" 

Ok, so what do you do to that?  I just walked closely behind her so I could scoop her up and fly to the nearest hospital if she happened to get bit by one of those black widow spiders they warned us about prior to letting the kids loose!!

I.Hated.This!!!

She, of course, had no fears and could have cared less.  Some things the kids found: ants, termites, flies, earthworms, a baby snake, spiders, some kind of lizard (skank, I think), and cicada carcasses. 


See the kinds of things that live under rocks?!?!?

I'm having a heart attack here!!!

These are all the bugs they collected.

Now, it's time to identify them.


That hour could not have been over fast enough!!

Finally it was time to take the kids back to school.

They got these so they could see like like bugs see.

1 comment:

AmySF said...

Oh.GROSS!!! Can't they learn about alternative energy sources and recycling... sustainable farming? Why BUGS?!?!