Friday, May 20, 2011

Disaster at Chilis

Sometimes you are just desperate for an evening where you can relax, eat out with your family and not have to cook dinner. It sucks when reality sets in and you realize you were crazy to even think that's a possibility!

So, D and E met me at Chili's tonight for dinner. I had dropped H off at a birthday party, so it was just the three of us. It should have been fairly easy, right?

It started going wrong when I attempted to put E in the high chair. He definitely did not want to go in there... He was squealing, squirming and kicking. So, when that happens, I've learned you need to take a deep breath, walk away and try again in a few minutes because the more you try to force the issue, the harder he will fight. So, I started walking with him holding my hand. I needed to go potty and we were right there by the bathrooms, so I decided it was a good time.

We go in the big stall so there would be enough room for both of us. Usually he will just stand there or want to sit on my lap. (yes, this happens when you are a parent...). Instead, he decides this would be a good opportunity to figure out the door lock and open it! He did it faster than I could blink! It was crazy!

As you can imagine, that was awkward! I close the door and give him my key fob to play with. Luckily, we were far enough from the van that I wasn't worries about him setting off the alarm. Of course he then drops his paci on the floor of the bathroom...

WE HADN'T EVEN ORDERED YET!!!

We finally make it back to the table after washing hands and paci (yes, i used TONS of soap). This time he sits in the high chair without a whimper!

The waiter brings our drinks and puts E's cup of milk right in front of him. This is a problem bc he can't drink out of a straw yet and definitely can't handle a full cup if milk. However, he REALLY wants the cup!!! This leads to more crankiness. I pour the milk in the sippy cup that I brought with me but he won't take the sippy cup. He wants the cup the waiter brought. So, I pour a smidge of milk in the cup. Just enough to cover the bottom. He drinks it and asks for more. This repeats itself long enough for us to order our food.

The waiter brings our appetizer and E looses it again. Apparently, he wants something to eat too. I dig out the goldfish I brought with me for just this reason. He is happy with those for a while. Eventually. He starts throwing them in the floor, asking for more milk and whimpering.

Where us our food already? Did I mention the waiter put the scalding hot cast iron plate of queso down right in front of E? Seriously?!?!

Finally, he brought our entrees... Of course putting E's steaming hot plate of Mac n cheese right in front of him saying "Here you go buddy.". In my opinion, the waitstaff should be trained to keep EVERYTHING out of the reach of toddlers and infants!! Argh!!!

In addition to that, the spoon that was in the Mac n cheese was dirty!!! It had chocolate on the back of it that had rubbed off in his bowl!!!

We rushed through our food and out the door. E was cranky and I was just ready for the experience to be over with!!!

E woke up this morning at 5:00. I really shouldn't try to do anything when his day starts like that....

One day I will be able to have a peaceful meal with my family... One day!

2 comments:

AmySF said...

Whew! You need a night out with a girlfriend to Chilis. I'm free!! ;-)

Our Moments said...

Um, yeah, I'd LOVE that. :)