Friday, July 25, 2008

Wild Thursday...

Wow, last night was a busy one which is going to make for a LONG post. So, sit back and enjoy...

I went to pick our daughter up from preschool yesterday afternoon around 4:30. Usually, my husband meets me over there shortly after I get there and we leave for home. Well, we waited... and waited... and waited yesterday afternoon. It was 5:20 before he finally arrived. Of course, by then we were extremely interested and involved in a lesson that our daughter had had recently, so we weren't too ready to leave.

The lesson? Division... I know, crazy, eh? She's 5 for goodness sakes. She doesn't actually call it division, but we do. Montessori teaches the basic concepts of things so they will know the reasoning behind the lessons before actually teaching them what they are really doing. So, here's how the lesson goes...

She has a cup with 12 marbles in it. She has 6 little flower pots. She has little strips of paper and a pencil. She chooses how many flower pots to use... for this example, let's choose 4. So, she sets out the four flower pots. On her little strip of paper, she writes "12 / 4 = " (She knows she has 12 marbles that are going into 4 pots... so, she says "12 grouped by 4 is") Then, she drops one marble at a time in each flower pot... one marble in the first pot, one in the second, one in the third, one in the fourth... after she drops in the fourth pot, she goes back to the first and starts over until she runs out of marbles. Then, she picks up one pot and counts how many marbles are in it and writes down the number. So, she has "12 / 4 = 3" and says "12 grouped by 4 is 3". CRAZY!! And, she now knows that you can use 1, 2, 3, 4, or 6 pots, but you can't use 5 pots because 12 can't be grouped by 5!!! Holy Smokes!!! I didn't know that til like 5th grade or something!!!

Anyway, back to the story... (I told you this would be long)

As she was finishing up working on her lesson, my husband proceeds to tell me that the reason he was late was because his manager finally gave him a very long overdue PROMOTION!!! Rock on!!! Yippee!!! I'm so excited for him and he TOTALLY deserves it.

So, when you get a big promotion at work, you HAVE to go out to eat dinner to celebrate, right?? :)

Off we went to the Olive Garden. I know, not everyone's ideal celebratory dinner, but we love the Olive Garden. And since we were celebrating, we all got whatever we wanted. (Usually one of us gets spaghetti or fettucini alfredo so we can split with our daughter, but this time she got a plate of her own!) And I tried their new Garlic Shrimp pasta dish... Yum-my!!

After dinner, hubby felt like having a little more fun with the family so we drove home to get the golf clubs and off we went to the driving range. I grabbed my camera while we made the pitstop at the house and tooks some shots of them hitting.

DSC03645_edited-1.jpg
"Hmmm... which club should I use? This one looks good."

DSC03649_edited-1.jpg
"Naah... this one is better."
It was a beautiful night last night. It was about 75 degrees and sunny. So, there were quite a few folks at the driving range. I forgot how hard it would be to keep her quiet!! It is a golf course and golfers tend to be a little finicky about silence when they swing their clubs. :)

DSC03652_edited-1.jpg
Ok, so the dress probably wasn't the appropriate attire for the driving range... but we only stopped at the house for a split second... no time to change from school clothes.

DSC03653_edited-1.jpg
One day, I probably won't be able to get these two off the golf course. For now though, they are just having fun. :)

DSC03670_edited-1.jpg
I think he missed his calling... shouldn't he be on the PGA Tour by now and us be millionaires?? HaHa... Funny... Back to reality...

So, during the entire session, our daughter was hitting one ball after another after another. My husband kept telling her to slow down, but of course, she didn't listen. (She's doing a lot of 'not listening' lately.) After she got about half way through her bucket of balls, her hand felt funny. She looked down at it and ran straight to me crying. She had hit so many balls so fast, she had worn a blister on her little hand and ripped the skin off. It looked rough and I'm sure it hurt. And those other golfers on the driving range? Yeah, they weren't too happy with a screaming 5 year old. :(

So, off she and I went to the clubhouse for a band-aid and a fun ride in the golf cart to take her mind off of it. It worked for about 5 minutes, but she was done for the night. We drove back to the range to pick up hubbie and headed for home.

Oh, but we were out of band-aids at home... so we had to stop and get some band-aids... and while we were at it, we stopped at The Smoothie King for a nice fruit smoothie that dried the tears for about another 5 minutes. Then, we headed home for real this time.

Home for me to play doctor and trim the dead skin hanging from her hand. (Ick!) Bathe her and put her to bed... with two band-aids, an ice pack, and extra teddy bears... (the drama!)

This morning she seemed much better until I changed her bandage. Then she wigged out again. She went to school with extra waterproof band-aids and I told her that she better wash her hands. There's a nasty stomach virus going around that I really don't want us to catch...

4 comments:

Julie said...

Ugh, girl drama!

Congrats to hubby on the promotion though!

Amy said...

YAY FOR DAVE!!!!!!!!

I LOVE the pictures!!! Thanks so much for posting them :-)

Anonymous said...

Congrats to Dave!! That's fantastic :)

I love her little set of clubs--Jimmy can't wait to get Morgan her own set next year.

Tiaras and Timeouts said...

Cute pictures! Yes, we deal with that drama times 2 on a daily basis, and I'm sure it will only get worse. Thanks for the clickable 'here' help!