Kindergarten is bring a LOT of changes to my daughter's little world. It seems as each day, there is something new that smacks me in the face about how drastically her world is changing.
For the past three years, she's been in the same preschool classroom. She's had the same teachers, the same friends, the same environment for half of her little life!! That's a long time. Her best buddy at Children's House had his final day this week. He doesn't start school until the end of August, but his parents are fairly high up in our company and are going away for a 4 week stay in Key West before he starts school. (Must be nice, huh?)
Anyway, I went in this morning to wake my daughter up. After a few grumbles about how tired she is and how she wanted to go back to sleep, she sat straight up in her bed and said:
"Mommy, did you know that [best buddy] is going to Key West for four weeks?"
It wasn't until that very second that I realized how tough it's going to be on her to be at Children's House without him. I almost wanted to cry. (I don't cry easily.) :(
So, the only thing I could think of to do was to sit right down on her bed and talk to her about him leaving. Monday was his last day. They did a little going away/graduation celebration for him. He brought his teachers flowers. He's planning to come back to visit one day before his school starts.
Luckily, I've already worked out a playdate with his mother for September 6th. By then, they will both have been in kindergarten for a full week, but it will be nice for them to get to see each other again.
1 comment:
Kindergarten is a big rite of passage. They will part ways with old friends and make so many new ones.
And how do I get a 4 week vacation!!
Post a Comment