When I was in high school, I kept up with all the latest fashion. It was easy to do then. I was surrounded by girlfriends who always shared the latest and greatest trends. Plus, I had all the time in the world to read magazines like Seventeen or Glamour, which were perfect for teenage fashion. I was not one of the most popular girls in school. But, I kept a close eye on those that were. So, I always felt really confident in the clothes that I chose.
Then, I went to college...
and entered a field of practically ALL MEN...
I wasn't a member of a sorority.
I spent most of my days with the guys in my class studying or goofing off. Not reading fashion magazines or following the latest trends.
Then, I got married...
and spent all my extra money paying off my wedding and saving for our first new home.
I was more interested in home decorating that self decorating.
My attention was on making my home beautiful, not me.
Then, I had a baby...
and my body was not the shape it used to be. :)
Nor, did it function as it used to.
Sitting in front of a computer all day in tight waisted pants became uncomfortable.
So, I started wearing more baggy clothes.
Not to mention, I barely had time to sleep, much less think about what I was going to wear the next day.
Last year, about this time, I realized that I really needed to freshen up my style a bit. Of course, the only thing I did about it at that time, was cut my hair. (which, I love my hair cut) But, there was still a lot of work to be done...
My sister, the San Francisco fashionista, gave me a few pointers. Granted, I will never be able to devote the time, energy or money she does to shopping. It's great to at least hear what the trends are. She pointed me to a few books and magazines that would help me get going and I've *started* putting the ideas, thoughts, and style philosophies to use on myself.
It is a S-L-O-W process for me... because between the time I was in high school and now, clothing prices have skyrocketed. Maybe I'm just cheap, but I find it hard to justify spending so much on clothes. I'm slowly getting over that but it is hard.
Anyway, the point of all this was that I went to a friend's CAbi party last night. If you've never been to a CAbi party, it's a real treat. The clothes sold there are designer quality and extremely nice. And, yes, they are expensive.
The first outfit I tried on was a pair of designer jeans, a blouse with a damask sweater over top. The jeans were so nice... well cut, form fitting, and gave me a lift in all the right places. The pockets were perfectly placed to give my toosh the oomph it needs. The blouse and sweater were cut perfectly... the seams at the shoulders, as they should be... the sleeve length was perfect... it fit wonderfully and because the bottom of the blouse hung below the sweater, my little pooch was hidden. I felt confident and comfortable in that outfit. I walked out of the dressing room and my friend literally said, "Oh my God! That looks so good on you. You usually wear jeans that are way too big! I can't believe how well those fit you."
I tried on several more outfits... I fell in love with each and every one. They had a deep purple denim jacket I fell in love with... a beautiful hooded, long, sweater that would be perfect on those cool, crisp autumn mornings... a reversible vest...
I left without buying anything though. I'm going to, I just can't decide what... and I can't decide how much is too much to spend... My husband is no help with this either. He thinks you should be able to buy a stylish outfit for $40... and that's just a little out of touch with reality. Of course, I don't want to break the bank either...
5 comments:
Get the jeans - you'll wear them a ton. And get another piece that is really versitle. Like the denim jacket or hooded sweater.
I say get the jeans. A well cut, well made pair of jeans can be dressed up, dressed down.
I get all twitchy thinking of spending a lot of money on clothes. But, I also know it's worth the expense for well made jeans/pants, etc.
You deserve it. Tell the husband you're buying everything you tried on and loved and it will be your Mother's Day/Christmas/Anniversary present :)
I really liked that first outfit on you...
I have searched for CAbi stuff on Ebay, and it sells for pretty much the same price.
I'm so right there with you. In college I was the one with all the cute clothes that people wanted to borrow. But then I had kids, and I would rather spend clothing money making them look cute than me. Ironic because my mom used to say the same thing and I always swore I would never be like that.
Jeans, jeans, jeans! :)
Post a Comment