I took Apple to the pediatrician yesterday morning for a strep test. It was negative. She was playing and acting normal, just complaining of a sore throat. She asked if she could go to school, so I told her if the strep test was negative, she could go back to school. I, and the doctor too, attributed the sore throat to a cold virus.
Two hours after dropping her off, I was called to come pick her up. She was really puny and complaining still about her throat. We went straight home. She started complaining about being cold even though she was bundled under a blanket. Sure enough, she was running a fever.
So, I started her on some Children's Motrin. She refused to eat dinner and just wanted to lay around all evening. By 'lay around', I mean she pretty much wanted to lay on top of me! So clingy.
I called the pediatrician to see what he thought. Was he sure it wasn't strep? He said that he did send off for the 24 hour culture, but he still felt like this was a virus.
She went to bed around 8:00 and fell right asleep. She woke herself up coughing around 10 and her fever was up to 103 and she still had Motrin in her. She was miserable and crying and in so much pain with her throat. I gave her more Motrin even though it was too early to do so and Hubby and I started thinking about taking her to the ER.
We decided (with the advice of my mom) to call the pediatrician again. He reassured us that she was ok and gave us the warning signs that would indicate an immediate trip to the ER... not being able to swallow her saliva, not feeling a little better after taking Motrin/Tylenol, having difficulty breathing, etc. She wasn't experiencing any of that, so we felt a little bit better... a little bit.
During the night, her fever started going down. The Motrin was keeping it at 102 or below. (whew!) This morning, she smiled at me! :) That's always a good sign. She still has a low grade fever and she says her throat still hurts when she swallows, but she did eat breakfast. Hopefully, we are over the worst of it.
Last night was probably the most scared I've been and Apple has been through a lot in her short little life. I've never seen her in so much pain before and I've never been afraid that Motrin couldn't bring down her fever. I really hope she continues getting better and doesn't have a repeat of last night...
2 comments:
Our night was rough also. Alyssa coughed the ENTIRE night, we had to take her into the bathroom and turn on all of the hot water to steam it up, we ran out of hot water. She woke up again at 3am coughing like crazy. She didn't have the sore throat or fever though, thank goodness :(
Sorry for Apple..hopefully today's much better
I feel your pain- We have finally gotten rid of Sydney's hacking cough, with the help of her inhaler. Wouldn't we all feel better if the test would be positive and we could get some pink amoxicillan? Hope the motrin keeps working it's magic!
Post a Comment