Monday, October 20, 2008

My Opinion of the State Fair

Going to the State Fair was something I really looked forward to. When I was in college, my roommates and I lived right down the street from where the state fair was held every year. And, every year, we'd go to the fair at least once, usually more. It was really enjoyable. My favorite parts were looking at the landscaping exhibits done by the local college's landscape architecture students, going through the Village of Yesteryear to see all the hand made crafts, trying new and different foods, and of course, seeing who grew the largest pumpkin. :)

For the past few years though, the fair has been rather unenjoyable for me. The crowds have been too thick. It seems very dirty. And, a total rip off, honestly. It's just expensive.

We went to the fair yesterday afternoon and it was MISERABLE. Totally MISERABLE. I told hubby that I would be happy if we never went back. The crowds were so thick that you couldn't even take a full step in front of you at any point in time. The lines for the rides (for Apple) were SOOOO long. We went to the fair with three ride books of tickets... we only used 6 tickets!! The lines were just unbearable and the ride operators moved like molasses. It was SO LOUD!!! We were only there for about three hours and I was so ready to go home. My head was splitting from all the noise and my nerves were on edge from all the people!!!

There were a few good moments:
-Apple got to try Dippin' Dots for the first time and LOVED them.
-Hubby got to try a new treat - cheesecake dipped in chocolate.
-I got my Maple cotton candy.

I didn't, however, get a caramel apple which is usually my favorite fair treat. They cost $4!!!
$4 for a caramel apple?!?!? Do you know how many carmel apples I can make at home for $4??? Definitely more than one.

Anyway... On to a brighter note... today is my Mom's Birthday!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MOM!!! Love ya!!!

2 comments:

Sabrina said...

I love the fair, I can't wait to go. I hope it's not too crowded coz I hate waiting in long lines for the ride, and I LOVE the chocolate dipped cheesecake. Yummy.....

We're going the day after Alyssa's bday...not the best day, but oh well :(

That Chick Over There said...

I cannot even imagine chocolate dipped cheesecake.