So, I am at home tonight with E b/c he's so sick. That means that D had to go with H to her first swim meet. We were both really nervous for her for this meet. She has never swam the length of the pool and clearly she struggles. She has been working really hard and she's trying so hard. We didn't want her to go to the meet and be ridiculed for not finishing or potentially being disqualified. Regardless, she was determined last night that she wanted to compete today.
D and H had to be there at 5:00 for premeet practice. This was an away meet, so it was a brand new pool for H. (even add to the nerves more)
After E and I ate dinner, I checked my email right quick and got the Heat Sheets and realized they had her down to swim all four strokes. (freestyle, backstroke, breast and butterfly) She's most efficient at freestyle and backstroke and just has a brief intro to breast and butterfly. So, I sent D a text and told him to let her know that if she didn't want to swim all four, she didn't have to. He could just tell them that she was only swimming the first two. So, then I ask, "Is she doing ok?"
15 min later -> "Just came to me crying"
Me: "Uh oh... Why?"
D: "She is scared to death... just tried to find person to drop her out of two strokes."
Me: "She knows she doesn't have to do them, right? If she doesn't want to do it, bring her home. It's ok."
D: "Ok"
Meanwhile, my heart is h-u-r-t-i-n-g for her... seriously!
An hour later...
Me: "Update?"
Dave: "Just went freestyle... almost swam the whole way."
Me; "Awesome! So proud of her!!!"
Whew! A big relief. She faught her fears and worked her little butt off to swim as much as she could. I can't tell you how proud this makes me!! I'm feeling a little less worried at this point.
An hour later...
D: "Just swam backstroke and swam the whole way... finished third in her heat, I think"
YOU ARE FREAKIN' KIDDIN' ME!!! :)
Seriously, this girl is AMAZING!!! SOOOOOOOOOOOOO, proud of her. I know how hard this was for her and I can't imagine doing this myself. I can't wait for her to get home so I can give her a GIGANTIC hug and tell her how proud I am of her!!
No comments:
Post a Comment