Monday, September 22, 2008

Just when I was starting to feel settled...

So, Apple has been in kindergarten almost a month now. She transitioned in really really well. She loves her new school and her new teachers. She has gotten used to bringing her lunch every day and staying in after care for an hour after school. She has gotten the hang of going to one class in the morning and her 'extended day' class in the afternoon. She really seems to like it.

So, this morning, my husband walked her in to school. He likes to do this on Monday mornings as a little treat rather than dropping her in the drop off line. Apple's teacher stopped him before he could leave today and told him that she'd like to speak with us. (First instict... "Oh crap, what has she done?" ) Just kidding.

She said that she feels like Apple is ready to move up to first grade. She says that she is 'more than' ready academically and feels like it would be a good fit for her so she could continue to be challenged.

After that, hubby tuned out... he literally can't remember the rest of the conversation. He said that the teacher gave him some times they could talk, but he didn't remember any of them. Maybe he was in shock, I dunno. But, the good thing is that he called me as soon as he got back in the car. :)

I called the school and I'm supposed to talk to the teacher today at 11:30. On the one hand, I think she's definitely ready academically. But, on the other hand, I'm a little worried about her emotional/social readiness.

Plus, what does this mean for the future? She will be like I was... the youngest in her class... the last to learn to drive... the last to be able to date... the youngest to graduate. But, then again, maybe that won't be a bad thing?!?

Just when I was starting to feel settled, something else comes along to stress me. :)

3 comments:

Julie said...

wow, that's a tough one. give it lots of thought and you'll make the right decision. remember also the school year will get harder as it progresses. I remember thinking last year that Kindergarten was ridiculously easy but it did get harder as it progressed. maybe her teachers can find other ways to challenge her as well?

Tiaras and Timeouts said...

That's wonderful that the teacher has so much confidence in her! You've obviously given her a great start!
You're right, though, about the future. I just had that EXACT conversation with a parent and teacher last week about an extrememly bright child. I taught 5th grade for nearly 10 years, and by that age you can really tell who the youngest ones are before you even look at their birthdays sometimes. Since you're in a Montessori school, she probably wouldn't feel very "different" until middle school and definitely high school, and then what? I am a real stickler for not sending the Aug/Sept/Oct. birthday child to school before they turn 5 and was SO relieved when NC changed the kindergarten cut-off for birthdays to August 31, but mine is only one opinion. School is just not what it used to be! We do physics and statistics in 5th grade now! Now that I"m the "gifted" teacher, I know there are better ways to challenge a child than just sending them up a grade.
You know your child better than anyone else. I'm sure you'll make the best decision!

That Chick Over There said...

I started school at 4 and was always the youngest in my grade. It was not a big deal at all, even when I was in high school and wasn't able to get my drivers license until after the people my age.

I think it's awesome she's doing so well.