On Monday, we get an email from Apple's school that says that her class will be having field trips to the local roller skating rink every Wednesday during the month of February. EVERY WEDNESDAY???
First of all, I'm ticked because it's Monday and their first trip is Wednesday. This means I have to reschedule my entire day. Then? I'm ticked because it every.freakin.Wednesday. I think this is overkill. Then? I'm ticked because its all the kids in the school from kindergarten through middle school. That's 100 kids!! (Keep in mind... this little private school does not have transportation... it relies on parents to drive kids to fields trips... and I'll be darned if I let someone else drive my kid. I'm not ready for that yet.)
So, I sign up to drive. I said I'd take two kids. When I get there on Wednesday, Hayden had already picked out the girls that she wanted to ride with her. They were both very sweet, but one was rather unruly.
Anyway, we get to the skating rink and wait in line for skates... two of the three girls got skates that were too big. Luckily, the girl with the right sized skates put them on and took off. (didn't need to worry about her anymore) Unluckily, this meant Apple was at the back of the line for skates... it.took.for-ever...
We finally got her in skates and had the wheels tightened. She took off on the carpet around the rink and did really well. So, she wanted to try the hard floor. I told her to go ahead, but I wouldn't be able to go in there with her. She did EXTREMELY well. I was truly impressed. She had nerves of steel getting out there with all the other kids. She stayed close to the wall until she felt comfortable enough to get a few feet away from it.
She fell... about a million times. And, of course, I didn't think ahead when I dressed her that morning. She was wearing pants with snaps on the pockets. So, every time she fell, the snap ramed into her rump. By the time she was done, I was hearing complaints of her butt hurting. :) Also, she had picked out ankle socks that morning. Needless to say, we'll be more prepared next Wednesday.
And, yes, she has two bruises on her rump from the snaps. :(
She had a blast though. And, believe it or not, it wasn't that chaotic. The worst part was waiting in lines at the skate rental. She's very excited to go back next Wednesday... and we're going to loosen up the skates a bit...
until then... :)
1 comment:
EVERY Wednesday???? Is this in the place of PE class? Where is the curriculum connection (just asking)? And do you have to take off every Wednesday???
Hope she has fun!
Post a Comment